Would you like to learn more about the important questions our partners are investigating and the discoveries they're making? Please check here for new research findings - open access articles will be added as they are published.
Antibiotic Prophylaxis in Breastfed HIV-Exposed Uninfected (HEU) Infants, University of KwaZulu-Natal
• Effect of co-trimoxazole prophylaxis on morbidity and mortality of HIV-exposed, HIV-uninfected infants in South Africa: a randomised controlled, non-inferiority trial. The Lancet Global Health. 2019.
Becoming Breastfeeding Friendly: A Guide to Global Scale-Up, Yale School of Public Health
• Gearing to success with national breastfeeding programmes: The Becoming Breastfeeding Friendly (BBF) initiative experience. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2022.
• Estimating the costs for implementing a maternity leave cash transfer program for women employed in the informal sector in Brazil and Ghana. International Journal for Equity in Health. 2022.
• Implementing the Becoming Breastfeeding Friendly initiative in Scotland. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2022.
• The yearly financing need of providing paid maternity leave in the informal sector in Indonesia. International Breastfeeding Journal. 2021
• The financing need for expanding paid maternity leave to support breastfeeding in the informal sector in the Philippines. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2020.
• Analysis of stakeholder networks for breastfeeding policies and programs in Ghana. International Breastfeeding Journal. 2020.
• Costs of maternity leave to support breastfeeding; Brazil, Ghana and Mexico. World Health Organization Bulletin. 2020.
• Scaling up breastfeeding policy and programs in Samoa: application of the Becoming Breastfeeding Friendly initiative. International Breastfeeding Journal. 2020.
• Costing a Maternity Leave Cash Transfer to Support Breastfeeding Among Informally Employed Mexican Women. Food and Nutrition Bulletin. 2019
• Scaling Up Breastfeeding in Myanmar through the Becoming Breastfeeding Friendly Initiative. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2019.
• Factors influencing the implementation of the Becoming Breastfeeding Friendly initiative in Ghana. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2019.
• How does "Becoming Breastfeeding Friendly" work? A Programme Impact Pathways Analysis. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2019.
• Development and pretesting of "Becoming Breastfeeding Friendly": Empowering governments for global scaling up of breastfeeding programmes. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2019.
• Can “Becoming Breastfeeding Friendly” Impact Breastfeeding Protection, Promotion, and Support in Mexico? A Qualitative Study. Food and Nutrition Bulletin. 2018.
• Perspective: What Will It Cost to Scale-up Breastfeeding Programs? A Comparison of Current Global Costing Methodologies. Advances in Nutrition. 2018.
• Pilot testing of the Becoming Breastfeeding Friendly toolbox in Ghana. International Breastfeeding Journal. 2018.
• Scaling Up Breastfeeding Programs in Mexico: Lessons Learned from the Becoming Breastfeeding Friendly Initiative. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2018.
• Becoming Breastfeeding Friendly Index: Development and application for scaling‐up breastfeeding programmes globally. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2018.
• Das internationale Forschungsvorhaben Becoming Breastfeeding Friendly. Untersuchung von Rahmenbedingungen zur Stillförderung [Becoming breastfeeding friendly in Germany-an international research project to assess the readiness to scale up breastfeeding]. Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz. 2018.
Breastfeeding in Conflict Settings, Aga Khan University and the Hospital for Sick Children
• Systematic review of infant and young child feeding practices in conflict areas: what the evidence advocates. BMJ Open. 2020.
Breastfeeding in Conflict Settings, Aga Khan University, the Hospital for Sick Children and the BRANCH Consortium (Bridging Research and Action in Conflict Settings for the Health of Women and Children)
• Lancet Series on Women’s and Children’s Health in Conflict Settings. The Lancet. 2021
• Impact of conflict on maternal and child health service delivery: a country case study of Afghanistan. Conflict and Health. 2020.
• Impact of conflict on maternal and child health service delivery – how and how not: a country case study of conflict affected areas of Pakistan. Conflict and Health. 2020.
ISRHML – Family Larsson-Rosenquist Foundation Trainee Expansion Program (TEP)
• Transcriptional changes in the mammary gland during lactation revealed by single cell sequencing of cells from human milk. Nature Communications. 2022.
• Capturing the diversity of the human milk microbiota through culture-enriched molecular profiling: a feasibility study. FEMS Microbiology Letters. 2021.
• Healthy Breastfeeding Infants Consume Different Quantities of Milk Fat Globule Membrane Lipids. MDPI Nutrients. 2021.
• Morphological Analysis of Human Milk Membrane Enclosed Structures Reveals Diverse Cells and Cell-like Milk Fat Globules. Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia. 2021.
• Pumping supplies alter the microbiome of pumped human milk: An in-home, randomized, crossover trial. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2021
• Risk of dietary and breastmilk exposure to mycotoxins among lactating women and infants 2–4 months in northern India. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2021.
• A mixed-methods study of pesticide exposures in Breastmilk and Community & Lactating Women’s perspectives from Haryana, India. BMC Public Health. 2020.
• Breastfeed4Ghana: Design and evaluation of an innovative social media campaign. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2019.
• Endocannabinoid Metabolome Characterization of Milk from Guatemalan Women Living in the Western Highlands. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2019.
• Four Dissemination Pathways for a Social Media–Based Breastfeeding Campaign: Evaluation of the Impact on Key Performance Indicators. JMIR Nursing. 2019.
• Human Milk Biomarkers of Secretory Activation in Breast Pump-Dependent Mothers of Premature Infants. Breastfeeding Medicine. 2018.
• Advances in stem cells and regenerative medicine: single-cell dynamics, new models and translational perspectives. Development. 2017.
LactaPedia - A glossary of lactation for science and medicine, The University of Western Australia
• Development of LactaPedia: A lactation glossary for science and medicine. Maternal & Child Nutrition. 2020.
Larsson-Rosenquist Foundation Centre for Immunology and Breastfeeding, The University of Western Australia
• Allergen shedding in human milk: Could it be key for immune system education and allergy prevention? Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2021.
• The Gut‒Breast Axis: Programming Health for Life. MDPI Nutrients. 2021.
• A role for early oral exposure to house dust mite allergens through breast milk in IgE-mediated food allergy susceptibility. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2020.
• Malaria Antigen Shedding in the Breast Milk of Mothers From a Region With Endemic Malaria. JAMA Pediatrics. 2020.
• Shaping the Gut Microbiota by Breastfeeding: The Gateway to Allergy Prevention? Frontiers in Pediatrics. 2019.
Larsson-Rosenquist Foundation Mother-Milk-Infant Center of Research Excellence, University of California San Diego
• No infectious SARS-CoV-2 in breast milk from a cohort of 110 lactating women. Pediatric Research. 2022.
• Human Milk Oligosaccharides Reduce Murine Group B Streptococcus Vaginal Colonization with Minimal Impact on the Vaginal Microbiota. American Society for Microbiology. 2022.
• Point-of-care human milk testing for maternal secretor status. Analytical Bioanalytical Chemistry. 2021.
• Breastfeeding Communication Strategies, Challenges and Opportunities in the Twitter-Verse: Perspectives of Influencers and Social Network Analysis. MDPI. 2021.
• Evaluation for SARS-CoV-2 in Breast Milk From 18 Infected Women. JAMA. 2020.
• Breastfeeding Promotion on Twitter: a social network and content analysis approach. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2020.
• Distance, Diffusion, and the Role of Social Media in a Time of COVID Contagion. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2020.
• A qualitative examination of barriers against effective medical education and practices related to breastfeeding promotion and support in Lebanon. Medical Education Online. 2020.
• Getting schooled: teachers’ views on school-based breastfeeding education in Lebanon. International Breastfeeding Journal. 2019.
• Integrated Analysis of Human Milk Microbiota With Oligosaccharides and Fatty Acids in the CHILD Cohort. Frontiers in Nutrition. 2019.
• A case study on breastfeeding education in Lebanon's public medical school: exploring the potential role of social networks in medical education. Medical Education Online. 2018.
• Human milk oligosaccharides, milk microbiome and infant gut microbiome modulate neonatal rotavirus infection. Nature Communications. 2018.
Mild Induced Labour Prior to Planned Caesarean Sections to Improve Neonatal and Maternal Outcomes (Lacarus Trial), University Children’s Hospital Regensburg, University of Regensburg; Division
of Neonatology, University of Basel Children’s Hospital; Department of Obstetrics, University of Basel, Women’s Hospital; Department of Obstetrics, Community Hospital St.Gallen; Department of Obstetrics, Community Hospital Baden; Newborn Research, Department of Neonatology, University Hospital and University of Zurich; University Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Hospital St. Hedwig of the Order of St. John, University of Regensburg; Department of Obstetrics, University Hospital Zurich
• Vasopressin but Not Oxytocin Responds to Birth Stress in Infants. Frontiers in Neuroscience. 2021.
• Improving Neonatal and Maternal Outcome by Inducing Mild Labor before Elective Cesarean Section: The Lacarus Randomized Controlled Trial. Neonatology. 2021.
Role of Breastfeeding in Neonatal Bacterial Colonisation, Mucosal Immunology and Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital for Children, Harvard Medical School
• The impact of indole-3-lactic acid on immature intestinal innate immunity and development: a transcriptomic analysis. Scientific Reports. 2021
• Short chain fatty acid butyrate, a breast milk metabolite, enhances immature intestinal barrier function genes in response to inflammation in vitro and in vivo. American Journal of Physiology-Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology. 2021.
• Short chain fatty acids produced by colonizing intestinal commensal bacterial interaction with expressed breast milk are anti-inflammatory in human immature enterocytes. PLoS One. 2020.
Social Value of Breastfeeding and Breastmilk at the Workplace
• Implementation of Breastfeeding Policies at Workplace in Mexico: Analysis of Context Using a Realist Approach. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2022.
• How do breastfeeding workplace interventions work?: a realist review. International Journal for Equity in Health. 2021.
Quantitative nutrient intake with breastfeeding and its impact on child metabolism and health outcomes, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
• Zinc and iron adequacy and relative importance of zinc/iron storage and intakes among breastfed infants. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2021.